About the restoration and Conservation Award
Our main office sits at 1518 South Flores. This one-story building was built in the 1870s and is constructed of pre-railroad era, white Texas limestone. The original owner was Edward Ruhnke, Sr., a butcher who had his meat market and home in this building. With 12” thick original stone walls, the project preserves a truly exceptional example of the distinctive Texas structures built along the main mercantile routes in San Antonio.
Next door is a two-story building, also fully restored to its original glory. It was built in the 1890s and is constructed of yellow brick. The original owner was C.A. Soule, a pharmacist who ran his pharmacy on the first floor and lived with his family upstairs. The project and its architect Saldana Architecture received a San Antonio Conservation Society Award in 2002.